Becoming a Puppy Foster Carer
Being a Puppy Foster Carer is a life-changing experience for our volunteers. We need volunteer Puppy Foster Carers to assist in raising and training young puppies before they are ready to enter full time training to become a Hearing Assistance Dog. If you are interested, please read through the eligibility criteria and submit your application today.
- Have a genuine love for dogs of any shape or size.
- Commit to caring for and training a puppy for approximately eight months.
- Be working part-time or less, or are able to take a dog to your work.
- Be willing to work with a member of our training staff within your home, out in public, and at our National Training Centre in Adelaide Hills.
- Comply with, and adhere to our Puppy Program Coordinator and guidelines.
- Be able to spend time working with the puppy each day and commit to fortnightly visits from our Puppy Program Coordinator.
- Be able to travel to our National Training Centre in the Adelaide Hills, or to a local Vet in an animal emergency.
- Be willing to have the puppy sleep inside your house, in a crate.
- Have a secure, fully fenced yard, with sheltered and grassed areas.
Australian Lions Hearing Dogs will provide all food, equipment and Veterinary care for all puppies in the program, and desperately need people who can give them loving homes and be involved in their socialisation and training.
The program includes fortnightly visits in your home, training sessions in a local public space, or at our National Training Centre at Verdun in the Adelaide Hills. Where possible, we will arrange puppy socialisation classes at a Vet approved by ALHD. We will always be available to support you and the puppy.
If you don’t meet each of the criteria above, please still make contact with us to discuss eligibility to help with emergency accommodation, or caring for puppies short-term. We encourage anyone who is interested to contact our Puppy Program Coordinator if you have any questions on (08) 8388 7836 or email at email@example.com.
We recruit puppies from a number of different sources including pounds, shelters, rescue organisations and breeders. There will be a great variety of breeds within the Puppy Program that you may be asked to care for. Even if you haven’t ever owned a dog before, the Australian Lions Hearing Dogs’ Puppy Foster Program may be perfect for you. It gives you a chance to receive training in owning and raising a puppy, without long-term commitment.